> One thing to be careful is if you are relying on 'transactions' to handle
> anything. Obviously the transaction has to be in the same connection just to
> work. Despite what others have said, the PDO connection will be different to
> the generic mysql connection as it is a separate process. Persistent
> connections will only reuse an already open connection, you can't connect two
> processes to the same connection. You would not know which process was
> accessing things.

According to the documentation:

"First, when connecting, the function would first try to find a (persistent)
link that's already open with the same host, username and password. If one is
found, an identifier for it will be returned instead of opening a new
connection."

Therefore, providing you've configured PHP's --with-mysql and --with-pdo-mysql
options with the same MySQL library, then as long as the host, username and
password are the same, the same connection will be re-used for both the native
(mysql_pconnect) connection and the PDO connection.

I'm not sure about the mysqli library, but I believe that lies beneath the
mysql_* family of functions anyway so it shouldn't make a difference whether
you're using libmysqlclient or mysqli.

Regards,
Andy