At 12:38 PM 12/14/2010, Daniel Brown wrote:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:34, Ethan Rosenberg <eth...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Dear List -
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> How do I reset auto_increment so that the primary key will start from 1.
>  The primary key is now 2421.  I have deleted all the data in the table and
> started over, and the primary key just increments from its previous value.
>  Setting auto_increment=0 does not work for me, why I don't know.

    UPDATE tablename AUTO_INCREMENT=1;

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager

======
Daniel -

Thanks.

This is what I get -

mysql> update Visit3 auto_increment=1;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '=1' at line 1

Same error if auto_increment is in caps.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ethan

MySQL 5.1 PHP 5 Linux [Debian (sid)]