A recent note added to the manual errata pointed out the
set_time_limit does not affect system commands that have
been executed by PHP.

I would guess that attempting to limit system behavior in
this way is beyond the scope of set_time_limit.

Any opinions or options on this issue?  My feeling is that
we document that set_time_limit is not a safe way to limit
the resource usage of commands run via calls to exec, etc...

--zak