I think you might be interested in some feedback after the newest PHP
snapshot with a fix was installed here.

The "Aborted connection ... (Got an error reading communication packets)"
messages disappeared. This may seem as expected behaviour. However there is
one additional point worth mentioning:

In order to get rid of these annoying messages it is _not_ sufficient to
install lastly fixed PHP. In order to get rid of them I had to compile the
newest PHP snapshot with MySQL 3.23 (3.23.27-beta or 3.23.28-gamma) client
library instead 3.22 (3.22.25) one which was used before till today
(releases between them, as well as PHP bundled client, were not tested :-)).
I thought it may be interesting for some - and for the record.

Thank you, Steven and Zeev :-)

Maciek

[stuff deleted]