This line in main/php_ini.c has cost me an hour of headache:

sprintf(php_ini_search_path, ".%c%s%c%s", ZEND_PATHS_SEPARATOR,
env_location, ZEND_PATHS_SEPARATOR, default_location);

I had an old php.ini file in the directory from which I was trying to start
apache (/root), and all the wrong parameters would be loaded, despite the
explicit config directive to look for the file somewhere else. Could the
current directory be removed from the search path (I can't see any real use
of it), or at least this behaviour documented so others don't run into the
same kind of problems?

Edin