yes, this is as per the manual. the (optional) newline after
a closing PHP tag ( ?> ) is considered to be a part of the
tag, and is removed from the output.
use
<? print "testing1\n"; ?>
<? print "testing2\n"; ?>
<? print "testing3\n"; ?>
or
<? print "testing1"; ?>

<? print "testing2"; ?>

<? print "testing3"; ?>

At 16:16 26.1. 2001, Monte Ohrt wrote the following:
>example:
>--------
>
>This is a test
>
><? print "testing1"; ?>
><? print "testing2"; ?>
><? print "testing3"; ?>
>
>done.
>

>When I run this from the command line (4.0.5dev) I get the following
>output:
>

>This is a test
>
>testing1testing2testing3
>done.
>

>Why are there not carriage returns between the print statements? Is this
>an intended behavior?
>
>Monte
>
>--
------end of quote------

Cynic:

A member of a group of ancient Greek philosophers who taught
that virtue constitutes happiness and that self control is
the essential part of virtue.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]