shared libraries save memory (and disk space) if and only if they
are used by different programs simultaneously

in the case of apache there is usually no such gain as apache
is started only once and then creates its process farm using
fork(), so that all theese processes share their code and static
data anyway

compiling everything in statically gives a performance gain
(depending on the cpu architecture, on ia32 it can be significant,
on cpus like e.g. sparc this will be less obvious due to their
bigger register sets)
and might ease debugging when you are in trouble, but this is
not an agrument for production environments

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77

Besuchen Sie uns auf der CeBIT 2001 - in Halle 6 Stand F62/4