Does this mean I have to use include() to do conditional includes? therefore
change all require() to include() ?
Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Bug Database [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, 18 February 2001 5:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PHP 4.0 Bug #8945 Updated: include, require, et al.

ID: 8945
Updated by: sbergmann
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Performance problem
Assigned To:
Comments:

You say that you use conditional statements to determine whether or not to
REQUIRE a file.  Just to make sure: You're not using require or require_once
inside a conditional block, such as:  <?php   if($condition)   {     require
"some_file.php";   } ?>  I'm asking this, because require and require_once
are UNCONDITIONALY called, see the manual pages for require and include on
this topic.

I discovered that the include(), require() or include_only(), require_only()
functions have a profound effect on performance. I use conditional
statements to conditionally require files, however, it seems that the PHP
interpreter has a performance problem with this. Commenting out all the
require() or include() code shows that performance improved by 200%. Web
Stressing the app and PHP, I have found that PHP can sometimes crash with an
Access Violation at 12345 and CPU usage maxing at 100%. Memory leaks very
much when CPU usage is at maximum threshold. Zend Optimizer seems to reduce
performance by a noticeable amount. It does not seem to reduce CPU usage,
unfortunately. I got the best performance from PHP using page cacheing.
Results seem to show that it's faster than static HTML...

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=8945&edit=2