From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux 2.4.2
PHP version:      4.0.4pl1
PHP Bug Type:     Feature/Change Request
Bug description:  lack of bidirectional popen()

I'm using php for shell scripting, and my current project is
an indexer of smb shares.
using shell commands (in this case smbclient) without the
ability to interact, Creates a serious bottleneck, as it
becomes neccessary to execute smbclient once for each folder
on each share on each host on the network.

well that's my two cents.

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=9824&edit=1