Though I am still considered new to this group, I thought I would put in my two cents.

Are we considering fastcgi module stable?  We currently release EXPERIMENTAL modules
as part of the distribution. If fastcgi is considered EXPERIMENTAL, then I don't see
why the
module itself could not be included in the RC branch. The only piece that really has
to be checked
is config.m4, and in this scenario there doesn't appear to be problems(efficient or
not). As long as
the withval test is valid, and the module is not enabled by default it really
shouldn't affect php
as a whole. I believe that this is a fine exception to the rule.

However, if fastcgi is being labled stable, then, IMHO, I believe it should wait for
thorough testing,
and the next freeze.

I think that Sascha, and Jani have concerns with this being the first domino in a
series of continually
growing exceptions to the release process. An RP ruleset is one of those things that
is often considered
 "Holy",and shouldn't have reoccuring exceptions. Zeev has expressed valid points
about the functionality
 being important and shouldn't wait.  Which, if there is big need for it, why can't
there be a compromise?

Perhaps everyone should consider altering the RP ruleset, to include an exception
about adding new
modules.

If the exception policy was in place here are some questions of thought:
What would be necessary to make it safe to php in a whole?
What should the requirements be to allow this to happen ( ex. a lot of user demand,
replaces something considered unstable) ?
Should this require any re-testing?
Should this require x amount of RCs to follow and how many?
Should there be a vote on whether or not to allow the module in?
Is this module something that should first be released as an add-on?

I honestly agree with both positions on this one, and I think  good can come from both
of them : )

-Jason