On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

>I disagree, we explicitly document that the arg_separator defaults to &
>and that this is the character that separates url arguments.  This follows
>the original CGI specification.  The fact that this is no longer the
>accepted standard for this doesn't mean we can just up and change it in a
>minor PHP version.

One thing to remember: arg_separator is supposed to be used when
PHP _outputs_ urls, like transparent session id's. And not be used
when parsing URLs and creating the variables in main/php_variables.c

This is said also in php.ini:

; The separator used in PHP generated URLs to separate arguments.
; Default is "&".

So question is: Should we support ; or & in "incoming" urls?
Now both work. Which (IMO) is the right way. And if people want to
use something like this:

foo.php?a=1;2;3, they should url encode the string.

Which reminds me: If arg_separator is used like it was before my patch
and you set it to e.g. ';' and then have a form which method
is GET..well, it won't work. there would be one variable
holding all the info.

So, another directive into php.ini? (I don't like that idea :)

--Jani