Updated by: cnewbill
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old-Bug Type: Scripting Engine problem
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Assigned To:
Comments:

oops, forgot feature request.

-Chris

Reclassifying as a feature request, regardless of whether it happens anytime soon. :)

-Chris

[EMAIL PROTECTED] adds...

This is a repeat of 5226, but I couldn't add anything without a password, which I
didn't have.

In that bug, [EMAIL PROTECTED] didn't understand the example that was given. What
happens is this: if you have

$a[5]="five";
$a[6]="six";

and then do array_pop($a), you now have $a[0]="five", not $a[5]="five", as I would
expect.

Despite not understanding the example, stas answered the question: that's the way the
zend engine works. But you don't see that as a problem?

Presently, all splice-derived functions reorder numeric keys.
There's not much to do about it, since it's the way Zend Engine handles numeric hash
keys.
Changing it either way won't bring more consistent  functionality, so in the meantime
it is just as it is.

AFAIU that's exactly what pop should do - pop element from array.
Why should it insert empty element on top?

<?
  $A[1] = 'A';
  $A[2] = 'B';
  $A[3] = 'C';