From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux Red Hat 7.0
PHP version:      4.0.2
PHP Bug Type:     OpenSSL related
Bug description:  https takes forever and a day to return when php is loaded in Apache

I am running Apache 3.1.19 with mod_ssl-2.8.2-1.3.19 and OpenSSl-0.9.6 for SSL
functionality.

Using https from my Internet Explorer 5.0 browser causes the requested web page to be
returned after a very long wait, .eg more than 20 minutes maybe longer. Subsequent
retrieval takes as long too.

If I have PHP disabled by removing the LoadModule and AddModule directive https works
immediately however when I reinstate the PHP modules I would experience the problem
again.

Other scenario :-

  1. retrieved a https page with my browser without PHP    (response received
immediately)
  2. modify httpd.conf to enable PHP
  3. restarts Apache
  4. starts a *NEW* browser to retrieve https(waits very long)
  5. using the same browser session in step 1 to retrieve
     again using https(response received immediately)

Also noticed in the Apache errors_log file the following error :-

[Fri    Apr     6       11:46:30        2001]   [notice]        child   pid     2654
 exit    signal  Segmentation    fault   (11)
[Fri    Apr     6       11:46:36        2001]   [notice]        child   pid     2668
 exit    signal  Segmentation    fault   (11)
[Fri    Apr     6       11:46:36        2001]   [notice]        child   pid     2667
 exit    signal  Segmentation    fault   (11)

This is how I configure PHP :-

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-config-file-path=/etc/php \
--with-mysql=/usr \
--with-java=/usr/java/jdk1.3 \
--with-ldap \