At 19:09 22/4/2001, Jon Parise wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:33:50AM +0300, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>
> > >default php.ini path: now using --sysconfdir option, defaults to
> > >/usr/local/etc ("configure --sysconfdir=/usr/local/lib" for old behaviour)
> >
> > While I completely sympathize with the motivation, I think this has a very
> > high WTF rating.  I wouldn't do that on a 0.0.1 change...
>
>I don't think it will have that much of an impact, especially
>with the old --sysconfdir option still being recognized.  The
>other options will also make package / ports building much easier
>for a lot of people, too.
>
>The only suggestion I'd make is that the absense of these
>parameters default to the "old" behavior until 4.1.?.

This changes the entire picture;  I'm fine with doing all of the changes
for 4.1.  All the same, doing that in 4.0 would be a big unexpected
headache for people who already configured their php.ini files, which would
suddenly stop working...
When you upgrade a major version, you go through the upgrade notes,
something which is very common to skip with minor updates.

Zeev