Personally, I think having an alarm (timeout) function is a really good
idea.

Setting a timer, and then being able to jump from whatever you are doing if
it is taking too long is something that has helped me do some really neat
stuff in C and Perl... and I was a little dissapointed when I learned PHP
didn't have.

Of course, I have no idea how hard it would be to do... so my opinion isn't
worth a hole lot more than .02

Brian Tanner
http://www.zaam.com