I am also one of the authors of ext/iconv module.
iconv module is only for encoding translation but
jstring (renaming to mbstring) is for general multibyte string
handling fucntions.
The encoding translation is one of functionalities of mbstring.
I think rather iconv module should be merged into mbstring in the future.