ID: 8889
Updated by: andi
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Performance problem
PHP Version: 4.0.4
Assigned To:
Comments:

The main problem is that once the system's standard C library allocates heap space
(with the sbrk() system call) it will never return that memory to the system.
PHP can't solve this problem. If you do find certain things in the future which take
up much more memory than they should please open a new bug report and we will check
into it.

I am talking about nearly endless amounts.  I saw Apache processes with as much as
14MB of memory in use.

Brian.

What kind of sizes are we talking about here?  the Zend memory manager holds a memory
cache, but we're talking at around 1MB per process max.

Ok, this is just like what is described in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=97923602322593&w=2 which contains a hacked
up solution.  It looks like it should be able to turn into a usable end solution.

Hi guys,

I do not have much information.  I know that my Apache processes memory is growing by
the minute.  If I start a separate server on another port and serve only static pages
and files through it, those process do not grow.

I have tried what I remembered of gdb but have not come up with anything.  I know I
need to attach to a process and it seems I can `gdb {pid}` but that gives me nothing.
How can I get some info for you guys?  I do have --enable-debug.

thanks,

Brian.
Phorum.org

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!