Hi folks-

I brought this up a few months ago, and due to either tacid approval or utter
disinterest I was unable to spark a discussion or gather a concensus :)

Right now, when a class (or method, or function) is declared, its name is
zend_str_tolower()'d. This provides the case-insensitivity that PHP has, but it
would be nice if the original casing on the class name was persisted so that
functions like get_class would return the actual *as-declared* class name. This
has a rather narrow end-user meaning for most people, but not for teams like
ours who structure their code with cased filenames. The current implementation
can be worked-around, I'm just not sure I see any advantage of lowercasing the
declarative as opposed to just maintaining a hash of lowercase => as_declared.
That would still allow for case-insensitivity while allowing the reverse-lookup
functions to be more correct.

Any opinions? Have I overlooked something that makes this more difficult than
it seems? I'm willing to work on this if I can gather some positive concensus.

--

John Donagher
Application Engineer

Public key available off http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = 4024 DF50 56EE 19A3 258A  D628 22DE AD56 EEBE 8DDD