At 01:06 PM 5/16/2001 +0200, Jani Taskinen wrote:
>On Wed, 16 May 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>
> >Also bare in mind that a very large percentage of the developers don't
> >*want* to be forced to change their code, and consider it to be a
>
>Who's forcing anybody to update anyway?
>
> >misfeature in the language if it breaks downwards compatibility in between
> >releases, regardless of whether they get a clear notification about it
> or not.
>
>It seems like everybody just ignores my emails..oh well. So I can rant
>again. >:-p
>
>Have you ever heard that you can also change that number in the middle?
>           4.0.6
>This one----^
>
>It can be something else than an ellipse called zero..it can even be a
>number 1!!! Whoa! Never thougth about that?!
>
>And maybe, just MAYBE then these people (who you seem to think of as
>complete idiots) would READ the NEWS file? Or e.g. RELEASE_NOTES ?
>
>Or is that number in the middle reserved for something special? Something
>the 'group' only know of and don't want to tell us lower class people?
>Maybe the 'group' could take their thumbs out of their asses and
>start DOING something? And maybe they could start listening to new ideas
>for once and a while. Or is the 'group' nowadays only Zeev/Andi ?
>
>It would be really nice to hear from the other members of the 'group' also
>as it really seems like the only ones speaking for it are Zeev/Andi..
>
>Or could someone please define the function of this mysterious 'group' ?
>(And please, someone else than Zeev/Andi.. :)

I hope you don't mind me replying :)
I agree with you that we can bump the second version number.
I think the biggest question is if we were to create a 4.1.x in order to
make changes (not features necessarily) which we think are important for
standardization of function names, install paths and so on then how do we
do it.
There has been lots of talk and I think there have also been some good ideas.
The only problem I have had with these discussions up to now is that people
here really forget that the average PHP coder is not a php-dev guy who
wants everything to be perfect.
So we can maybe start making a plan for 4.1.x which would address this
standardization but I would definitely urge to think of the average PHP
user and give him an option which 95% of the time won't trash his site :)

Andi