Well, this looks like my problem, not php's.
Unbeknownst to me redhat-7.1 has switched to
freetype2. For some strange reason, they left
a copy of freetype.h in /usr/include/freetype
and when I compiled gd-1.8.3gif from source,
I pointed it to that older header file.
PHP comes along and looks for freetype.h in
/usr/include/freetype2. Its a mess.
Its strange though that a snapshot from May 6
worked. It shouldn't have on this system. :)

Regards
Mike Robinson