ID: 10299
Updated by: jmoore
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Performance problem
Operating system:
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
Assigned To:
Comments:

We cant reproduce this so not really critical, reutnring to analysed.

- James

I'm unable to reproduce a fd leak using require_once() or include_once().
Do you have any script that reproduces this problem?

We can't really replicate your problem in general, but if somehow there's a resource
leak in your setup, lots of different weird things could end up happening.

What I found out is that using a lot of include_once, require_once + session will
trigger the CPU and memory spike.  Add database access to the script can speed up the
frequency of the spike.  And I also found out require_once DO leak memory.  pstat -T
show that file in use will always increase.  Somehow require_once forgot to close the
file after use.  lsof can give you a clear picture when you use require_once()

I changed my code using cookie and require() statement now.  And I delete all
sess_files in /tmp seems to correct the problem.  This is the only change I made to
eliminate the problem.

I can't reproduce the error now because the code that have problems have been changed
and I don't have the backup.  But the combination of A lot of include_once,
require_once, and session will trigger the spike, I am pretty sure because after I
changed all that, the problem disappear.  Old session file in /tmp also contribute to
the problem as well.

BTW, the last time I checked, CVS version 4.06 in late April still have the problem.

Is this fairly reproducible?
If it is, any chance you could build Apache with debug information (--enable-debug in
configure), attach to an offending process (gdb /path/to/httpd <PID>), and run a
backtrace ('bt')?

marking critical for php 4.0.6

I found the problem.  since the script I use have a lot of include and require
statement.  just a script include a bunch of files and keep reloading the page will
kill the server in no time.  I attach a sample config file I usually include, just
make a test.php and include this file like 10 times to simulate a lot of include
files.  And then, just keep reloading test.php.  You should see the script take a lot
of CPU time and eventually the httpd eat all the CPU time and the process hang.  From
command "top", one of the httpd process keep eating up CPU time.

The following is the sample config file

<?

/*Root directory */
$config[root_path] = "/usr2/home/business/test/www";
$config[w3b_path] = "/usr2/home/business/test/www/wwwthreads";
$config[data_path] = "/usr2/home/business/test/data";
$config[rdf_path] = "/usr2/home/business/test/www/rdf";

/* database */

include $config[root_path]."/db.php";

/* global */
$config[sitename] = "www.test.net";
$config[root_url] = "http://www.test.net/";;

// Cookie Setting
$config[cookie_path]  = "/"; # web root directory
$config[CookieURL] = ".test.net";
$config[cookieTTL] = 7200; // in seconds

$config[minpass]        = 3;  # Minimum user password length in characters

/* language and locale */
$config[language]       = "english";    # [english] english, [big5] BIG5 code

$config[locale]         = "english";    # Used for translation of date-related stuff

/* story control */
$config[commentmax]     = 4096;
$config[abstractlen]    = 4996; #length of abstract show on first page

$config[icon_width]     = 100;     # Topic icons width
$config[timezone] = "HKT";      #Time zone

$config[limitnews]      = 10;   # default number of stories per page
$config[older_story_num]        = 10;   # number of older stories to display

$config[anon_users]     = 0; # 1 to allow anonymous postings
                                                 # 0 to disable

/* theme control */

$config[def_theme]      = "Main"; # name of default theme (see themes/ directory for
list)

/* mail settings */
$config[use_fake_email] = 1; # Displays fake email addresses for users instead of the
real ones

$config[notifyEmail]    = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";         #address where you want to
receive notice

//$config[CensorList]   =
array('fuck','cunt','fucker','fucking','pussy','cock','c0ck','cum','bitch','shit');
$config[CensorList] = array("/fuck/s","/fuck/s","/fuck/s",
                                "/[a-z]*fuck[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*cunt[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*pussy[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*cock[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*c0ck[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*shit[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*bitch[a-z]*/is",
                                "/[a-z]*diu[a-z]*/is"
                        );
# See also specific LOCALE definitions

$config[CensorMode]   = 3;      # 0: no filtering
                        # 1: exact match
                        # 2: match word beginnings
                        # 3: match string anywhere in words
$config[CensorReplace]   =  "[CENSORED]" ;

/* allowable HTML tags. Used by check_html()
   Happily lifted (with mods) from phpslash */
$config[AllowableHTML] = array("p"=>1,   # 2 means accept all qualifiers: <foo bar>
                      "b"=>1,    # 1 means accept the tag only: <foo>
                      "i"=>1,
                      "a"=>2,
                      "em"=>1,
                      "br"=>1,
                      "strong"=>1,
                      "blockquote"=>1,
                                          "img"=>2,
                      "tt"=>1,
                      "hr"=>1,
                      "li"=>1,
                      "ol"=>1,
                                          "div"=>1,
                      "ul"=>1);

$config[AllowableHTMLtag] =

/* poll settings */

$config[maxOptions]     = 12;   # maximal number of options allowed
$config[BarScale]       = 1;    # scale of result bar (in multiples of 100 pixels)

$config[warnCheaters]   = 1;    # 1 - a notice issued on vote second try
                        # 0 - silently ignores the vote

$config[maxOptions] = 10;

/* story stuff */

$reasons = array('As is',       # "Normal"
                'Offtopic',     # Bad Responses
                'Flamebait',
                'Troll',
                'Redundant',
                'Insightful',   # Good Responses
                'Interesting',
                'Informative',
                'Funny',
                'Overrated',            # Last two are "special"
                'Underrated');

if ($config[dateString] == "") {
        switch ($config[locale]) {
                // specifier specs can be found on
http://www.php.net/manual/function.strftime.php  /menthos
                case "english": $config[dateString] = "%a, %b %d,%Y @ %I:%M %p";
break;
                case "french":  $config[dateString] = "%a %d %B %Y &agrave; %H:%M";
break;
                case "german":  $config[dateString] = "%a, %d. %b %Y %H:%M"; break;
                case "italian": $config[dateString] = "%a %d %b %Y %H:%M"; break;
                case "swedish": $config[dateString] = "%a %d %b %Y, %H:%M"; break;
                case "dutch":   $config[dateString] = "%a, %d. %b %Y %H:%M"; break;
                case "spanish": $config[dateString] = "%a %d %b %Y %H:%M"; break;
                default:        $config[dateString] = "%a %b %d @ %H:%M"; break;
        }
}

?>

The remainder of the comments for this report are too long.  To view the rest of the
comments, please view the bug report online.

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=10299&edit=2