ID: 7387
Updated by: jeroen
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Documentation problem
Operating system:
PHP Version: 4 (any)
Assigned To: jeroen
Comments:

I am currently writing the section 'why is $foo[bar] bad' in the arrays section. It
will adress this problem, so that in the future you can say: RTFM

Any progress on this?

James:
  Since you have a better idea of exactly what it is you
want to document, I'm moving this to you. Close it whenever
you think it is sufficently documented.

Maybe we should look at documenting how the engine corrects bad coding. We often get
questions on #php about the engine correcting unquoted string constants and any other
behaviour like this. I cant think of any others now but maybe a new chapter on
debugging troublesome code or common errors etc is necessary in the manual. This might
belong in the FAQ but I think a chapter in the docs wouldnt go amiss. Maybe another
thing we should think about doing is including the FAQ in the manual as well as on
php.net itself.

This is neither a bug in PHP, nor a doc bug...I will make
the incompat entry more explicit as soon as I can get to the
CVS, but you can see from the last comment what the problem
is: you are using a predefined constant as a key in an assoc.
array. This would be termed, at best, as "undefined".

It won't work properly with any reserved word, which brings me back to the point : you
should always quote constant strings.  The only reason that it works at all is the
parser is fixing your mistakes for you.  If you set your

  error_reporting = E_ALL

in your php.ini (and restart php), for the code

  $a[word] = "foo";

you'll see the warning

  Warning: Use of undefined constant word - assumed 'word' in /var/www/html/test2.php
on line 3

I'll leave this issue open for someone from the documentation team to catch up with
later.

The remainder of the comments for this report are too long.  To view the rest of the
comments, please view the bug report online.

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=7387&edit=2