CVS Account Request wrote:
>> Purpose: I would like cvs access so that I can check a bug fix
>> to the sybase_ct module. I need this bug fix to be
>> in the next release of PHP.
>
>  Just send a diff of your patch to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In order to get a clean build of PHP on VMS, I have to modify 29 of the
original source files.  In about 1/3 of the files, the only changes
are to add a couple casts needed because the compiler feels obliged to
warn you that 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' are different data types.

The separate diff files are available from:

    http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/~jonesd/php/

It would save me some work if at least some of these patches could be
rolled into distribution tree.

A summary of the changes in these diff files follows:

   ext/standard/base64.c
        Added casts to certain function calls to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   ext/standard/basic_functions.c
        Add '#ifdef's to conditionally compile several declarations that
        refer to syslog (HAVE_SYSLOG_H) and sendmail (HAVE_SENDMAIL).

   ext/standard/credits.c
        Give Dave Jones credit for the OpenVMS port.

   ext/standard/credits_sapi.h
        Give Dave Jones credit for the OSU sapi.

   ext/standard/dl.c
        Modify code to load shareable images via LIB$FIND_IMAGE_SYMBOL on VMS.

   ext/standard/exec.c
        Fail, with error message, the passthru function on VMS (pipe
        incompatibilty).

        Make main read loop in shell_exec() test for success of buffer
        alloc/realloc rather than unconditionally attempting to use the
        returned pointer.

        Make the main read loop use fgets rather than fread for reading
        from the pipe (bug in DECCRTL, fread won't detect end-of-data).
        Since this increases the number of times through the read loop (once
        for each line of output), change buffer allocation to only grow
        the receiving buffer when less that PIPE_BUF bytes (the read size)
        are left.

   ext/standard/file.c
        Modify stat function to return dev and rdev as strings rather than
        numbers and ino as three separate numbers (ino0, ino1, ino2).

   ext/standard/filestat.c
        Make chgrp and chown follow the Windows behaviour, changing the
        relevant "#ifndef WINDOWS" to "#if !defined(WINDOWS) && !defined(VMS)"

        Skip groups check in php_stat function.

        Modify php_stat function to return dev and rdev as strings rather than
        numbers and ino as three separate numbers (ino0, ino1, ino2).

   ext/standard/flock_compat.c
        Emulate flock() function on VMS.  Still under development, may work
        under VMS 7.3 if you enable default shared opens in the C runtime.

   main/fopen_wrappers.c
        Modify fopen to include "rop=rah" (read-ahead record processing option)
        DECC extension on VMS.

        Modify fopen to use mode "r" instead of "rb" on VMS, allowing
        standard VMS text files (VAR record format) to be correctly
        read by the C runtime.  When "rb" is used, DECCRTL does not insert
        the implied newline at the end of each record into the data stream,
        making VAR format files appear to only have 1 line.

        Modify getcwd call to use DECC extension that forces returned
        directory string to use Unix syntax (/dev/dir).

   ext/standard/fsock.c
        Modify test used for domain socket support.  Testing for existence
        of AF_UNIX is inadequate since VMS header files define this but
        don't define sockaddr_un structure.

   ext/standard/html.c
        Added cast to php_escape_html call to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   ext/standard/image.c
        Added casts to certain function calls to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   main/internal_functions_w32.c
        Remove calendar and ftp modules as builtin internal functions.

   ext/standard/iptc.c
        Added casts to certain function calls to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   main/main.c
        Added casts to certain function calls to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   ext/standard/md5.c
        Added casts to certain function calls to eliminate warnings where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   ext/standard/microtime.c
        Define a timezone struct on VMS since not defined by the header files.

   main/network.c
        Modify the header file references needed for TCP/IP function calls.

   ext/standard/output.c
        Added casts to certain function call to eliminate warning where
        original code uses types 'int *' and 'unsigned int *' interchangeably.

   ext/standard/pageinfo.c
        Change reference to stat structure member st_ino to st_ino[0] on VMS.

   main/php.h
        Fix include file references to not use explicit relative paths on VMS.

        Force HAVE_LIBDL to be defined.

   main/php_logos.c
        Added casts to PHPWRITE function call to eliminate warning where
        original code uses types 'char *' and 'unsigned char *' interchangeably.

   ext/session/php_session.h
        Make macros to shorten external names that exceed 31 characters to
        be compatible with VMS linker.

   main/php_ticks.c
        Added cast to function call to eliminate warning where DECC compiler
        does not find a function pointer compatible with 'void *'.

   ext/session/session.c
        Put casts in front of buffer argument in MD5update calls.

   tsrm/tsrm_virtual_cwd.c
        Redirect realpath() calls to VMS-specific function defined in
        separate module.

        Change virtual_chdir_file definition on VMS to be compatible
        with chdir() prototype in system header file (DECC extension
        allows additional arguments).

        Don't define virtual_lstat function (same as Windows version).

   tsrm/tsrm_virtual_cwd.h
        Redirect realpath() calls to VMS-specific function defined in
        separate module.

        Change virtual_chdir_file definition on VMS to be compatible
        with chdir() prototype in system header file (DECC extension
        allows additional arguments).

   zend/zend.c
        Change fopen call to use mode "r" rather than "rb" on VMS, allowing