I found the problem cause :-)   Thanks, for eliminating PHP as a potential
issue.

This is still an issue, but certainly not PHP or server issue.  I was
running Norton security on the client and apparently Norton was doing the
blocking.  I disabled Norton security and the ad is no longing commented
out.  I re-enable Norton and the ad gets blocked.  I had no idea Norton was
getting into the packets and doing anything else than just blocking URLs
(by looking at the packet header).

  I suggest that the "/ad/" string is replaced with something more
dynamic.  Certainly changing it to "/add/" helps.

Again thanks for everyone's help.

Mark