I think this whole thing is messy.

Abstracting PHP to work with multiple scanners, or putting a scanner
outside the scripting engine, both make no sense.  I don't want to see
something which is purely wrong from a technical standpoint, done because
of some licensing issue.

If you don't want to implement it in the way that makes sense from a
technical standpoint (i.e., replace the Zend flex scanner), there are
several options.  One, you can wait.  As we discussed on Thursday and on
Saturday, the Zend Engine license may change, and may make you feel more
comfortable in submitting this code into it.  This scanner issue is not
very pressing, as it only makes a considerable improvement in thread-safe
builds of PHP.

Secondly, if you don't want to wait for so long, we (as in, people other
than you) can implement this re2c scanner ourselves.  Andi actually began
doing a bit of research on this about two weeks before you published your
patches (he heard re2c was faster), so he stopped for now (I actually
didn't know he was playing with it :)

Attaching an eye to PHP's foot because you don't like the way the eye
socket looks right now, makes no sense.

Zeev

At 18:49 9/7/2001, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>     New patches are available which address a couple of problems.
>
>     -   the HTML buffer was too conservative sometimes
>     -   single quotes were handled inefficiently
>     -   scanning strings (e.g. due to eval()) did not work
>     -   compiling a file did not initialize some things correctly
>     -   some escape sequences in double quotes were mistreated
>     -   'cvs diff -N' is buggy, so that new files were created in
>         the wrong place
>
>     'make test' works flawlessly now.  Please refer to
>     http://schumann.cx/ngscan.html for further information.
>
>     Especially due to the last point which requires fixing up
>     patches manually every time, I'd like to commit the PHP part
>     of things.  Would anyone object to that?
>
>     - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
>       http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg
>

>--

Zeev Suraski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CTO &  co-founder, Zend Technologies Ltd. http://www.zend.com/