Updated by: venaas
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: HTTP related
Operating System: OpenBSD 2.6
PHP Version: 4.0.5
New Comment:

Could you try to comment out the line
#define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1
in main/php_config.h and rebuild without doing configure?
Does it work then? There are some broken getaddrinfo()
implementations out there, but I would be surprised if
there were problems with OpenBSD in general. Might be
something wrong with your resolver library.

OTH, you also have a problem with fsockopen() and that
uses the old gethostbyname() I think, so it seems to be resolving in general.

Please check that your nameserver is running and setup
correctly.  Check the same with your internet server.

I've seen this issue posted here a few times, and I think my problem is similar to Bug
id #7880.

fopen(), fsockopen(), and file() will not work with URL or IP address parameters.
include() has the same issue. I believe it has something to do with getaddrinfo.

Before upgrading to PHP4, I was running 3.0.16 and all of these functions were working
perfectly with URL parameters.

My configure script looks like this:

./configure  --with-apache=/usr/temp/apache_1.3.19 --with-mysql=/usr/local
--enable-track-vars --with-xml --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl

My php.ini DOES contain the line "allow_url_fopen = On"

The fopen() script looks like this:

        $fd = fopen( "http://www.php.net/";, "r" );
        if( !$fd )
        {
                echo "Cannot open URL";
        } else {
                while ( !feof( $fd ) ) {
                        $buffer = fgets( $fd, 4096 );
                        echo $buffer;
                }
                fclose ( $fd );
        }

and produces this output:

Warning: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: name or service is not known in
/var/www/patrickhaney.com/www/weather/test.php on line 24

Warning: fopen("http://www.php.net/","r";) - Bad file descriptor in
/var/www/patrickhaney.com/www/weather/test.php on line 24
Cannot open URL

and yes, I can resolve php.net to 208.247.106.187. Using the IP address in place of
the hostname produces the same output.

If I use the fsockopen() function with this script:

        fsockopen("http://www.php.net/";, 80, &$errno, &$errstr, 30);
        if(!$fp) {
                echo "Error: $errstr ($errno)<br>\n";
        } else {