ID: 12321
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: Linux
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

Yes, it is, but that doesn't mean that it's a good name. I'm not suggesting renaming
ftruncate. All I want is an alias like fresize so that when looking at the function
list, it's easier to find this function, and the documentation updated so that it's
clear that ftruncate can make a file larger. Try doing a search for "resize file" or
"change file size" on the website. You won't find anything useful.

it's just the name of the C function/system call
 doing the same job

reclassified

The ftruncate function is poorly named, as it can be used to enlarge a file, not just
truncate it. I suggest creating an alias to this function, "fresize", to make it clear
that a file can be arbitrarially resized. I also suggest that the manual be updated to
indicate that ftruncate can enlarge a file as well: "Changes a file's size", rather
than, "truncates a file to a given length.