At 01:53 AM 8/4/2001 +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > log(a) / log(n) is not that much harder, and its the right way, imho.
>
>Yes, you're right that it is the right way. But for example,
>for tan(x), the "right way" is sin(x)/cos(x).

>(Not such a good example, but anyway)

As you said :-)  as an anal note, tan(x) is the correct notation, just as
logarithms are also a wrapper type in themselves, log is also the "correct"
notation.

>log($bla,2) is cleaner, IMO, than log($bla)/log(2), not mentioning the
>possible need for extra ( and ).

yeah, I guess, its just an extra level of abstraction I don't think is
necessary, but I don't really care all that much :-)

>log2() is going too far IMO, that's why I believe it shouldn't exist.
>
> > Why not move the more complex functions into a separate "math" extension
>or
> > statistics extension?
>
>There is a possibility that GSL will be implemented in PHP, but that's in
>the 'idea to maybe do that stage' (of Jesus).

>However, IMO the log, exp, sinus, etc. functions should be in the core.

Yes, I agree, however, expm1 and log1p don't.

-Sterling