On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, J Smith wrote:

> I have a few PHP extensions that I'd be willing to share but I've never
> done this sort of thing before. I wrote a few extensions for work, and my
> company sees no problem in donating them to the open source world and to
> the PHP project, but I'm curious about something:
>
> Are extensions for PHP required to be coded in C, or will C++ do? I'm a C++
> guy myself, and since PHP is largely written in C, does this cause a huge
> problem? If there's enough interest in any of my extensions, I'd consider a
> re-write from C++ to C, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.
>
> The only extension really ready for prime-time right now is a rather simple
> Porter stemmer, written in ANSI/ISO C++ using things like the standard C++
> string library and such. It's a simple extension that we're using to make
> the search engine we're building a bit easier to manage. Any future
> extensions are going to be focused on making search engines easier to
> implement in PHP. (We're building a search engine that uses PHP.)
>
> Any interest in that sort of thing? And if so, C or C++?

Using C++ in a PHP extension is pretty simple.

I have developed a framework called Zpp for implementing PHP extensions
and most notably PHP classes in C++ making it even simpler (at least for
me :-)

Zpp is part of a PHP extension called Universe that uses the C++ CORBA ORB
named MICO to connect PHP to CORBA objects. (Universe is an improved
version of my old PHP extension called Satellite.)

I plan to release Universe this week, so keep an eye on php-dev...

Regards,

David Eriksson