At 02:53 PM 8/7/2001 -0500, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
>On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> > In what case is this useful? I'm kind of worried that so many functions
> are
> > popping up in PHP which accept arrays as parameters. It's much slower than
> > passing the arguments in a regular way. How often do people dynamically
> > build formats *and* then dynamically build an array of arguments?
>
>Here's request from Colin:
>
>"What are the chances of getting printf() and sprintf() to have
>an optional syntax:
>
>     string  sprintf( string format, array args );
>
>Where $args would be an array of all the arguments to be passed,
>instead of listing them one by one.  This would be useful if one
>needed to write some kind of a wrapper function for printf() that
>processed the format string and/or each of the arguments before
>passing them to printf()."

Do you really think it's worth it? People will use features which are
available. I don't think it's the right thing to allow them to write code
which is *much* slower than the old way when it usually doesn't give you
much advantage over the old way.
Anyway, if you guys think it's really needed, so be it. I just think it's
kind of slow and I personally think we should not encourage people to pass
arguments with arrays. We're doing this in far too many places for my taste.

Andi