ID: 12678
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: Network related
Operating System: Linux 2.2.16-22
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

> Can you access the internet from a browser?

Yes, I can resolve any hostname using nslookup, host, etc.  This machine accesses the
internet just fine.

ie.  from the command line:

[hydro@mail htdocs]$ host calc.intershipper.net
calc.intershipper.net is a nickname for www.intershipper.net
www.intershipper.net has address 216.58.153.11
[hydro@mail htdocs]$

but from PHP
<?php
echo gethostbyname ("calc.intershipper.net");
?>

calc.intershipper.net

> Make sure your nameserver's are setup correctly.

To the best of my knowledge, they are.

Can you access the internet from a browser?

gethostbyname() returns the hostname when it can't find the
IP (invalid address.)

Make sure your nameserver's are setup correctly.

I'm having a problem where gethostbyname is returning the hostname not the IP address.
 Resolving hosts works fine on the command line with nslookup, host, etc.

This is the exact problem as bug #8856.  Andy said it should be resolved in 4.06, but
I'm having problems.

Thanks.

Adam