[Sterling Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>
> > At 10:23 15-08-01, Stig Sæther Bakken wrote:
> > >[Hi,
> > >
> > >I think one of the problems with this is that even if php-dev comes up
> > >with a system for determining which feature it wants to see in PHP, we
> > >still depend on Zeev, Andi or someone else @ Zend to implement them.
> > >An RFC system would be a support for Zend's decision-making.  At the
> > >end of the day, due to the licensing issues, php-dev is not the body
> > >governing the language, it has an advisory role only.
> >
> > Generally, I agree with you, except it's not because of licensing issues
> > (will we end up with a load of features suddenly getting into PHP if/when
> > the engine license changes?).  Many other projects behave that way.  With a
> > language definition, "vox populi, vox Dei" doesn't tend to work very well.
> >

>     Yes, the difference is, this creates a situation where the PHP
>     Development team does not have control of the core language,
>     Zend Technologies Ltd.  does.  Whether this is a issue with a
>     basis in principle or a basis in practicality is up to debate,
>     however, the problem remains.
>
>     Zend having control of the language has nothing to do with "vox
>     Populi, vox Dei" (translated "the voice of the People, the voice
>     of the Gods"), its more of a matter of *who* has control -- Zend
>     Technologies or the PHP Developers.

Historical note: we had, ahem, "feature discussions" in 3.0 before
Zend existed, so it doesn't have only to do with the fact that Zend is
a commercial company.

An important issue here is that for us, "control of the language" also
means writing code.  Granted, there's reduced motivation for people
willing to dive into the Zend code, since their contributions would
become the property of Zend, but so far Andi & Zeev are probably the
only members of the community who understand the code well enough to
implement stuff like ticks and namespaces.  So there's really no point
in broadening the control of the language until Zend has a license
that makes people like Sascha willing to put a lot of their time into
the Zend code.

Kristian thinks a dual GPL/QPL license would be a good idea for Zend
(it apparently works for Troll Tech), but that's _definitely_ for
another thread.

 - Stig

--
  Stig Sæther Bakken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Fast Search & Transfer ASA, Trondheim, Norway