From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Win2k
PHP version:      4.0.6
PHP Bug Type:     Feature/Change Request
Bug description:  request: bare regexp and =~ operator

Hey guys. I love php, keep up the good work!

Anyhow, I've been playing with other scripting languages as well as php to
keep up my skills and I've come to realize how much a pain in the ass
regexp is in php. having to use:

preg_match_all("/\s+\d+.\d+/", "php version 4.0.6", $matches);

instead of:

"php version 4.0.6" =~ /\s\d+.\d+\/;

is just a real pain. I think bare regexps and an =~ operator would really
kick ass. I understand that the functions may be a simpler way for people
to ease into regexps, but power users want the flexibility that languages
like perl and ruby (among others) have.
--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=12981&edit=1