On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> In what cases do you see a problem with that?  If (d) is bigger than
> LONG_MAX, than you're screwed anyway.

I presume you are refering to my proposed hack? Perhaps a little more
detail =).

If the type of either operand is greater than long, it cannot be demoted
(from double) without overflowing lval and giving unexpected results.

Instead, the relevant operations could be performed on unsigned longs,
with the result being cast to the most appropriate type (double or
long) based on whether op1 & op2 <= LONG_MAX.

> Zeev

Gavin