At 22:18 10-09-01, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>Zeev Suraski wrote:
> >
> > Ken - see my point? :)
>
>I have seen it all along.  I just do not think that removing
>it is better than leaving it forever but discouraging it.

What I was trying to point out was that you were arguing something
completely different from the pro-_ camp.  Others were arguing two
completely a different and contradictory view.  In my opinion, if the
others were holding your view, I believe that the situation would be
solvable.  Since, unlike you, they *really* think that introducing _() was
a good idea and would have done the same today, the situation is not solvable.

>And you cannot say that 'ugliness is not a metric' for anyone
>except yourself.  Multiple people have brought that aspect up, so
>obviously it matters to *them*.

Ugliness is not a metric because if it was, you would be forced to do all
sorts of contradicting things.  One person thinks one thing is ugly, others
think other things are ugly.  It's a subjective issue by definition, which
is why it cannot be made a metric.  Even if we could decide unanimously
that repeating certain functions so many times is 'ugly' in an objective
manner, we don't have a generic solution for it.  So, we picked some
arbitrary solution for one function.  Why not others?
Metrics for language features should be clarity, consistency, and the
likes.  They're subjective too, but they're less subjective, and you stand
a better chance of measuring them.

>   Please do not dismiss those
>inputs unless you think they do not count, in which case I
>suppose we should just accept that you are inflexible and
>consider your opinion better than anyone else's. :-D

You surprise me again with this sting but I'll ignore them again for the
same reason I ignored them last time.  It's *not* because I think you're right.

Zeev