Hi

yes I know the Probl. with $GLOBALS but does it work with other Arrays?
No it doesn't ! This is why I wonder!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bug Database [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. September 2001 14:25
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Bug #13363 Updated: variable variables with arrays

ID: 13363
Updated by: hholzgra
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Bug Type: Scripting Engine problem
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: all
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

$$ is just a shortcut for a lookup in the variable hashtable
of the current namespace ($GLOABLS if outside a function)

so you end up with the equivalent of $GLOBALS["GLOBALS[first][second]"]
which is obviously not supposed to work as a multidimensional array access

IMHO $$ should *not* become to clever aka. complicated

moved to feature requests for now although the amount of
exclamation marks used almost justified bogusification

$dynvar = "GLOBALS[first][second]";
echo $$dynvar;

result : nothing , no error and no output!

for arrays stored in variables only to ways are working:

$dynvar = "GLOBALS";
echo ${$dynvar[first][second]};

or more dynamic but more slower!

$dynvar = "<"."?PHP echo \$GLOBALS[first][second]; ?".">";
eval $dynvar;

you can use a variable to store instead of echo!

I think this breaks the rules of assigning variable variables . It must be
possible to store the complete call of the array in a variable.

The Way implemented jet is not praktical!!!!! Real World Tested! There are
so much postings in many Forums and Mailinglist with no suggestion . I can't
understand this! So i must think this is a BUG! or was forgotten to realize!

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at
http://bugs.php.net/?id=13363&edit=2