Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: Network related
Operating System: Linux 2.2.16 (RH7)
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
New Comment:

No feedback, assuming it's fixed

Derick

First, update to PHP 4.0.6.
Then try both gethostbyname() and gethostbynamel()
to see if either works.

--Jani

Ooops, I read that too fast.  Ok, so it works on the command
line, but not in PHP.  Does this still happen in the current
version?

Please make sure that you're DNS server is setup correctly
and you have access to it and the internet.  Try running
"netconfig" as root from a prompt.  Also, try running
linuxconf and make sure the order in which hostnames are
setup is correct (i recommend "hosts,dns")

Also, try upgrading to the latest version of PHP.

When trying to resolv the ip address of a hostname given in /etc/hosts,
gethostbyname() works fine. It does NOT work when trying to resolv an ip address which
must be looked up via the DNS server though. In the latter case,
gethostbyname($hostname) always returns $hostname, i.e. it
behaves like the hostname does not exist. However, doing a command line nslookup, the
hostname is found, so it DOES exist.

The problem occurs with version 4.0.4pl1 (compiled on the target system) as well as
with version 4.0.1pl2 that comes with RedHat 7.0. I'm using kernel version 2.2.16 and
a vanilla (i.e. non-updated) RedHat 7.0.

Thanks in advance...