On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:17:55AM +0200, Markus Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 01:56:28PM -0700, Jim Winstead wrote :
> > here's a patch to fix bug #13423. think anyone is relying on the
> > current (vastly lame, imho) behavior?
>
> Because this was the behaviour for a long time now its obvious
> that this will break all scripts ;-)
>
> But of course it should be changed. Better earlier than later
> 'til never.

Yes, I'm afraid existing scripts will do something like:

$address = gethostbyname($hostname);
if ($address == $hostname) {
        echo "Error....";
}
        ok...

I think perhaps the reason for current behavior is that gethostbyname()
on some systems may not return the IP address when called with an IP
address, the current PHP code would hide that bug. Well, just a theory
I don't like the current code either.

Stig