We actually use the getcwd() result in order to support good error messages
and include_once() and friends. It's a bit sucky that getcwd() is so slow
on Solaris. On Linux it's extremely fast because it doesn't do a million
chdir(..).
I'm not that enthusiastic about changing the current behavior.
Andi