Try Thies's thing first.  It may not be PHP memory at all, but
(a) Memory fragmentation (much tougher to handle, but we need to know what
we're up against)
(b) Non PHP memory

Thies's memory reporting will help you determine whether it's really PHP
that's taking so much memory.  If it is, we can look further...