> Ok, forget the test for a moment.  Why would a g+x file not be executable
> if the user trying to execute it is part of that group?  That makes no
> sense to me.

    There are three classes, owner, group, world.  If a process
    tries to exec a file, the OS considers the best fitting class
    only.  So, if the owner of a file tries to execute it, only
    the owner flags are considered.  This appears to me to be
    more logical than the "choose whatever is more liberal"
    approach.

    Anyway, Linux 2.4.13 gives me a permission denied while
    FreeBSD 4.4 does not.  I guess this check should be removed
    from the testfile or it should be combined with an OS-level
    check which determines which behaviour is correct for the
    current OS.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg