On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 05:19:17PM -0800, Lars Torben Wilson wrote :
> Markus Fischer writes:
> > Does this change if you explicetly close the connection?
>
> Nope. :)
>
> Actually, I had almost forgotten about this problem, but I guess it's
> still relevant since I do have places where I use table locking, and
> if the script were to bail there (which it never has in almost 3
> years, but it still *could*, I guess...) it'd require a server reset
> (or mysql thread kill) to cope with.

    Hmm well ... thinking about this again, the behaviour is
    expected isn't it?

    You're locking the table, you're not unlocking it. The
    persistent connection itself is not influenced by this in
    anyway and is still valid.

    So, the state is, your tables are locked. On your next run
    using the very same persistent link, you'll have to unlock
    them.

    It is the same problem with persistent links when you change
    the database in one script and reuse the link in another
    script. Of course the database has changed for the second
    script too.

    IMHO it is the responsibility of the developer to take care
    of this. And, reviewing this, then its just a bad idea to use
    locking with persistent connections.

    IMHO, no bug but bogus; the developer has to take care of it.

    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :-)

    - Markus