At 02:55 PM 12/3/2001 -0600, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
>On Mon, 03 Dec 2001, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> > Because some of the keys are case-insensitive and some aren't. Case
> > insensitive hashes don't work if you want to mix the keys.
> > In any case, I think the solution above is a good one because there are
> > only 5 constants in the Zend Engine which are case-insensitive.
>
>I realize that. Perhaps _ex() versions of hash functions could take a
>flag indicating which hash function to use. This may come in handy not
>just for constants, you know.

I still don't understand why you think it's suitable. If I want to lookup a
constant FOO_Bar. How would you know if the hash function you want to use
is case-sensitive or not?
In any case, you used to be able to specify a different hash function in
hash_init() but it was never used and for performance reasons we inline'd
the hash function.

Andi