Daniel Lorch wrote:

> I think what confuses many people is the name of this mailinglist:
> "PHP Development" which is ambiguous: Developing PHP (in C) or Developing
> FOR PHP (meaning "PHP scripts").
>
> Probably by clarifying this out, fewer support questions would be asked
> here.

1) the original message you were just refering to was generated by
    the bug database, so whatever we name the list has no influence
    on these kind of messages

    all we can do about it in this case is to display the
    "how to report a bug that someone will want to help fix"
    link on both the bug systems homepage and the bug reporting
    form in maybe a flashing red 48 point font ... and even
    that might not help :(

2) the list itself is rather well hidden on the subscription page
    you have to scroll down to see it (unless you have a *real* big
    screen) while all the general and specific support lists are
    near the top

    in addition to that the table header "Lists for the developers of
    PHP, php.net and documentations" and the list description itself
    "Developer list: A medium volume list for those who want to help out
     with the development of PHP" are rather clear
    maybe we could add a "you should know how to code in C" disclaimer
    here ;) but IMHO we have far less off topic support requests on this
    list these days than we used to have in the past ...

    what *really* confuses me are the support requests that find their
    way to the php-lang list every once in a while, although it isn't
    even announced anymore ...???

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77