Hi,

If I unterstood these guys correctly, they are developing a compiled
PHP-module (/ext/template/ or whatever). If ONE person decides to do
it, automatically some one else will not be able to contribute his
sourcecode, what is actually not a good thing. Maybe, Andrey Hristov's
code would be much better than the existing one, but it won't be
accepted because the other one has already become de facto standard of
PHP, and it's in the manual, nobody wants to change habits etc...

Kind Regards,
  Daniel Lorch