Hi Albert James,

<snip>

> PROBLEM:
> PHP seems to support this functionality on a UNIX server I run.  A request
> for http://www.foobar.com/hello.php/more/foobar/filename.html works
> exactly as the above describes, stuffing "/more/foobar/filename.html" into
> the $PATH_INFO php variable.
>
> However, the problem is that when the same code is moved to a production
> server, it fails with a status code 500.  A request for hello.php works
> fine; a request for hello.php/ fails, as does hello.php/anything.  I am
> trying to find out if the prod. server is in fact Windows.  We have a
> workaround whereby we make the php a perl cgi and it works fine; i.e.
> hello.cgi/anything runs fine, hello.php/anything yields a 500.
>
> HELP!
> Can someone who is familiar with this component of PHP please let us know
> if there are any specific configuratoin parameters that would affect the
> way PHP resolves the target resource, or if this is a bug that was fixed
> in a certain release?  I did search and found many similar problems but no
> answers.  There is one relative post in the faqts, but it states PATH_INFO
> doesn't work on Windows, which is clearly not true per above CGI
> workaround.

We have also filed such an error report (back in April this year, bug id
#7782). This is the same problem you have. It's due to IIS which
doesn't really translate the PATH_TRANSLATED variable (it will pass php
the actual script location + the extra PATH_INFO, so PHP cannot find the
requested script on disk). We have made several patches to the
php4isapi.dll to let PHP translate the request itself so it _can_ load
the actual script with the correct PATH_INFO. This patch has been send to
the PHP_DEV list (by the BUG-FORM) and a newer patch has been send to the
maintainer of the php4isapi.dll, but for now they haven't been added to
the php cvs.

However, you can download the patched php4isapi.c file (for the php-4.0.6
release) and the compiled
version (php4isapi.dll for php-4.0.6) from
ftp://ftp.muze.nl/pub/ariadne/win/iis/php-4.0.6/.

Regards,
Gijsbert te Riet
Muze.