ID: 13463
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: PostgreSQL related
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.4
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

Yes, but my point is that imagine this situation:

40 different usernames for the database
32 maximum connections to the database

It doesn't take much to figure out what's going to happen.  As soon as the first 32
usernames to be used have created persistent connections, the further 8 usernames can
never pconnect -> and remember, that doesn't take into account the fact that there are
multiple PHP processes running.

So, what I am suggesting is that once all 32 connections are being used and PHP then
attempts to use a 33rd username, instead of refusing to open the connection you should
destroy the least recently used persistent connection.  This could be inefficient, but
at least it won't lock PHP out of Postgres.

Chris

This is a design.
Connection parameters must be the same to reuse existing persistent connection. This
design is useful when you have multiple transactions.

We never had a problem with persistent connections until we started using about 40
different db usernames/passwords for different scripts on our site, to give the
scripts fine grained permissions.

Now, the problem is that we rapidly get 40 postmasters appearing, that are not reused.
 The solution was to switch back to non-persistent connections and everything is hunky
dory.

I'm fairly certain this problem started appearing in a recent PHP release as one day
it wasn't doing it and one day it was, and PHP was upgraded on our servers arount that
time.