On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jon Parise wrote:
> I don't recall the original reference, but it's also mentioned
> here:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_7.html
>
>     "Do not abbreviate the year list using a range; for instance,
>      do not write `1996--1998'; instead, write `1996, 1997, 1998'."
>
> Unfortunately, the reasoning isn't explained in that document.

The reasoning is this: you are supposed to put in the copyright years on
which you actually *release* the product. If you have a release every
year, then you can go ahead and abbreviate the list, otherwise you are
supposed to list the years individually.

-Andrei
* We reason deeply, when we forcibly feel. *