ID: 14478
Updated by: mfischer
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Bogus
Bug Type: MySQL related
Operating System: FreeBSD
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

Not bogus :) This is a feature request and has already been done a short time ago.

Thank you for your report. However, please review the
documentation before submitting a bug report - this is the
intentional and expected behavior.

This is/was an intended behaviour. There's a new expiremental  optional parameter to
mysql_connect() in CVS which allows you to force to create new resource rather than
reuse existing ones, e.g.:

$con1 = mysql_connect('foo','bar','baz');
$con2 = mysql_connect('foo','bar','baz', true);

Will result in $con2 being a new resource, not the same again.

Closing.

I've noticed what appears to be a bug in the
mysql_connect() and mysql_pconnect() (or perhaps the mysql
client libraries): multiple calls to either function with
identical arguments return the same resource id, preventing
me from connecting to multiple databases on the same host,
with the same credentials. Example:

<?php

  $conn1 = mysql_connect('host','username','pass');
  $conn2 = mysql_connect('host','username','pass');
  echo "conn1: $conn1\n";
  echo "conn2: $conn2\n";

?>

Produces:

conn1: Resource id #1
conn2: Resource id #1

If I then issue a call to mysql_select_db('foo',$conn1),
'foo' also becomes the active database on $conn2 since the
handles point to the same resource. Doesn't this contradict
the idea of having separate connection handles? Or is it a
short-coming of the client libraries?

Thanks!