Updated by: derick
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Session related
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.x
PHP Version: 4.0.6, 4.1.0
New Comment:

This is fixed in php 4.2.0dev.

Derick

Closing. (I don't mean warning message patch is committed ;)
If anyone who has karma for session module liked it, it will be committed.

It is bug in your session handler, but PHP should not behave that way.

Closing then...

Sorry, but further testing revealed when sess_read

  return NULL;

for when nothing was found caused problems sometimes, not always!

However

  return '';

seems to work all of the time!

Looks like sess_write has to return a '' (null string) It cannot return NULL, nor it
return false;

Otherise sess_write will never be called!
---ends---

Problem solved in 4.1.0 (release).

All thanks to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for pointing me to his very well written code!

I found the reason my sess_write was never called with register_globals = off was
because my sess_read function was something like this:

   sess_read( $key)
   if I find stuff for $key from PostgreSQL {
      return $valuesfound;
   }
   else {
      return false;
   }

The problem was with "return false;"
After changing:

    return false;

    return NULL;

things worked.

Don't know why the "return false" worked with "register_globals=on" and
"register_global=off" requires sess_read to return NULL if nothing was found...

THANKS again to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for his code and my apologise for wasting people's
time.

Please feel free to close this bug report.  I am not closing it because [EMAIL PROTECTED]
brought up something which I don't know about nor can I duplicate.
---ends---

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=13078

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=13078&edit=1